The concluding conference of the DReAM project last week showcased just how much had been achieved in promoting LIS practitioner research and in fostering the take up of new techniques from other disciplines in the last two years. The audience was held spellbound by Ben Goldacre – demonstrating the importance of robust research and lateral thinking beforehand on how to realise the full potential from data. You can see and hear all the presentations from: http://lisresearch.org/event-5-presentations/
BIR joint editor, Sandra Ward contributed to the One Minute Madness session – see:
Sandra’s message was: Because you’re worth it – the importance of demonstrating value!
* As joint editor of Business Information Review, I believe strongly in the value of effective information management to business and other sectors.
* As a consultant, I am appalled that few information functions have processes in place to calculate and demonstrate value. As a result, we lose credibility, opportunities –and jobs!
* I am convinced that research techniques can be used to design value into services.
We must apply them to:
· Identify, with our organisations, where information skills will contribute most value;
· Focus services on business critical activity;
· Recognise it’s our customers that reap the value from services;
· Partner with them to assess the real business benefit
And, where you can – I ask you to share good practice through publication! Because you’re worth it!